Garbage and Recycling Services
Flood Brothers will be the City’s new waste hauler starting November 1, 2021.
Flood Brothers has been a local family-owned and operated company for five generations. Flood Brothers provides service in more than 200 communities, including residential and commercial services in Pingree Grove, Hampshire, and Lake in the Hills.
Flood Brothers will be providing the same services as the City’s former waste hauler. Over five years, working with Flood Brothers will save the City of Genoa taxpayers over $624,000. Seniors will continue to receive discounted rates.
Flood Brothers will now be billing residents directly; you will no longer be billed for garbage and recycling pickup by the City. While Flood Brothers will be sending a quarterly billing statement, residents will have the option to pay Flood Brothers monthly. The current Flood Brothers is $21.00 for non-seniors and $19.00 for seniors.
The collection day (Monday – North of Route 72 and Tuesday – South of Route 72) will remain the same. Pick-up times may vary.
New Service Will Begin November 1, 2021
Residents will soon receive a welcome packet via USPS from Flood Brothers that outlines collection service guidelines and what to expect during the transition. Please find the materials here:
Key Dates in the Transition to Flood Brothers:
- Monday, October 18th – Friday, October 22nd – Flood Brothers will deliver new carts to residents’ homes. If you haven’t received your cart by Monday, October 25th, contact Flood Brothers at email@example.com or 630-261-0400 or 630-261-0578. Please do not call City Hall as City staff cannot assist with cart delivery.
- Monday, October 25th and October 26th – Leave your old carts at the curb when you take out your garbage/recycling. Waste Management will pick them up on your regularly scheduled pickup day. It may take a few days to pick up all the carts so please leave them at the curb until Waste Management picks them up.
- After October 25th or October 26th – Start using your new Flood Brothers carts.
- Monday, November 1st – Flood Brothers service begins. Please note your collection time may change, so please make sure to have your carts at the curb before 6 am on your collection day.
Quality Customer Service is a Top Priority
Customer service is important to Flood Brothers. Genoa will be assigned a dedicated management team and daily supervisor. The customer service office is staffed Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm and Saturday 8 am to 12 pm. There is an after-hours, 24/7 response system and 24-hour emergency dispatcher. There is a dedicated email for Genoa residents, firstname.lastname@example.org
Environment, Safety, and Community
The environment, safety, and giving back to the community are all part of Flood Brothers’ culture. As an added benefit to the City, Flood Brothers will provide waste and portable toilet services at City events, as well as provide an annual shredding event for Genoa residents, at-your-curb hazardous waste pick-up, electronics recycling, and more.
Yard Waste and Brush Pickup Collection Program
2021 brush pick-up is April 12 through October 12th.
- City crews will pick up brush every Monday or the day after if there is a holiday.
- Residents’ brush must be stacked along the curb or road edge to be picked up by City crews.
- Residents stacking brush in the alley need to contact City Hall no later than 8:30 am Monday for pick up.
Please make sure brush is stacked neatly in one direction, not tied, with the cut ends towards the street. The chipper is limited to 4-inch diameter limbs and will not chip Y sections of tree limbs exceeding the 4-inch limit. Please do not leave brush in the street or hanging over the curb. Brush is limited to a 5′ wide by 3′ tall area. Brush pickup is intended for brush created from maintenance of landscaping, not tree removal. Fine brush clippings, weeds, and yard and garden waste are not accepted with brush pick up, but will be picked up on your garbage day if in the brown Kraft bags or e a 35 gallon garbage can and clearly print ‘yard waste’ on the container.
Yard Waste Pickup Pickup is from April (Either 4/5 or 4/6, depending on whether their garbage is picked up on a Monday or Tuesday) through November (11/29 or 11/30) the last refuse day. If a resident wishes to get rid of yard waste (including leaves) they can either purchase yard waste bags or they can purchase a 35 gallon garbage can and clearly print ‘yard waste’ on the container. Please do not blow leaves into the street or rake them to the curb. Public Works does not have the correct equipment to suck up leaves and leaves in the street clog the City’s Street Sweeper.